Best Hunting Pants Roundup Review: Our Top 5 Picks
I think there are two types of people, the ones who know what a good pair of hunting pants is, and the ones that don’t. A good pair of hunting pants can make all the difference in the world when you are out tracking that big buck or packing that elk out of the backcountry. But finding a good pair of hunting pants or even the best hunting pants isn’t easy.
If your trip involves walking through tough thickets or up bare wind stripped mountain ridges, then you need to choose a material that strikes the perfect balance between keeping you warm and letting your skin breathe. You need to also consider factors such as the number of pockets, durability, weather, terrain, and comfort. The success of your hunting trip probably won’t depend on the hunting pants you choose but don’t be fooled, it will make a big difference.
Most people tend to focus on hunting equipment like packs and rifles while ignoring the outfits without realizing that being comfortable, warm, and dry is also extremely important.
That being said, there’s a lot of hunting pants out on the market so it can be kind of overwhelming trying to choose a pair. Well, we did the work for you. Here’s the ultimate guide to the best hunting pants, including our top 5 picks!
Top 5 Hunting Pants Review
1. Best All-Around Hunting Pants – SITKA Gear Men’s Mountain Performance Hunting Pant
We all need a versatile pair of pants that is perfect for all terrains, and the SITKA Gear Men’s Mountain Performance Hunting Pant fits the bill. They are especially useful for tough mountain terrains, where you need to keep warm and still move freely.
These SITKA pants are easily concealable and are designed to take your hunting performance to the next level, particularly if your plan requires concealment. This camo pattern blends in extremely well with its surroundings, allowing you to either stalk your game or sit back and wait for it to come to you.
The SITKA Men’s Timberline Hunting Pants are also durable, which means that you’ll have them for a long time. This allows you to focus on your hunt without worrying that your pants will get rips and tears.
SITKA Men’s Timberline Hunting Pants Pros
- The butt and knees are reinforced with waterproof material.
- They are extremely lightweight
- Their base material provides sufficient wind protection.
- You can easily layer them over other thermal pants.
- They are durable and perfect for cold & rocky terrains.
- Knee pads are removable.
SITKA Men’s Timberline Hunting Pants Cons
- The pockets are somewhat small but are still sufficient.
- Size is a true fit, but some people find the pants too small so consider ordering a size up.
- The knee and seat pads may be waterproof, but they require a little break-in time.
- They are sometimes noisy, especially when new. So make sure you wash them a few times before you head out hunting.
In our opinion, these are the best all around hunting pants you can find. These pants will fit your needs on 75% of the the hunts you head out on. From shed hunting in the spring to the regular season deer hunt, and everything in between, these hunting pants have you covered.
2. Best Waterproof Hunting Pants – Badlands Alpha Rain Pant
If you’ve ever encountered bad weather when on a hunting trip, then you know how much of a mood killer it can be. In addition to your limited visibility, if your clothes get wet, then the discomfort is unbearable. Nobody likes being stuck out in the rain, wet and cold.
This is why we loved the Badlands Alpha Rain Pants; they are 100% windproof and waterproof. They are also triple-layered and have a material that is designed to keep the water on the outside part of the pants while keeping you warm on the inside. The zippers are made from water-repellent materials, and the seams are tapered to prevent any water from getting in through the openings.
Hunting trips come with enough challenges, being wet doesn’t have to be one of them.
Badlands Alpha Rain Pants Pros
- The base material is breathable.
- They have a neutral color palette that ensures you remain hidden.
- They are infused with antimicrobial technology that prevents odor formation due to sweat.
- The belt loops are double and reinforced.
- Well articulated knees to enhance mobility.
- They are durable and lightweight.
Badlands Alpha Rain Pants Cons
- They only have 2 pockets which are above the knee. A few cargo pockets would be nice.
- The mid-thigh zippers can be uncomfortable after long hikes.
- They can be somewhat loud, especially if the pockets have items in them.
3. Best Warm Weather Hunting Pants – First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants
Admit it; the ultimate hunting dream is doing so under the clear skies when the weather is neither too cold nor too hot. But what happens when you’re hunting in warm weather? You run the risk of sweating too much, causing odor interference, and just being uncomfortable. The only thing worse than being too hot is being too cold.
While your hunting equipment’s weight sometimes impacts this, it’s the little things like your pants that make all the difference.
If the material is also not breathable, airflow will be restricted making you sweaty and uncomfortable and can restrict your movement. These are the details that make the First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants my go-to outfit for warm weather hunting.
First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants Pros
- They have a built-in stretch feature that gives you complete mobility.
- The nylon fabric makes them lightweight.
- Their cargo pockets are 3D and are large enough to store some gear.
- You can use them in colder temperatures as long as you add some layering.
- They have a water-repellent finish.
- They are so comfortable that it sometimes feels like you’re walking around in sweatpants.
- They dry out quickly and are durable.
First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants Cons
- The suspender loops don’t make sense if you don’t use them.
- The elastic waist wasn’t the best.
- Taking off the pants can be difficult because they stretch too much.
4. Best Cold Weather Hunting Pants – SITKA Gear Men’s Blizzard Bib Pant
Late season and cold weather hunts can be some of the best. Snow storms often get the animals out and moving for longer than normal. But hunting in cold weather can be miserable if you don’t have the right gear. Navigating the cold weather can be difficult, but with the right hunting pants and the know-how, these might turn into your most favorite hunts.
One of the major challenges you’re likely to face is staying warm. If you’re cold, then you won’t hunt efficiently, and there are instances where extreme chill can be life-threatening.
This, however, doesn’t change the fact that late-season hunting pays off, which is why I always go for the SITKA Gear Men’s Blizzard Bib Pants. They are all about balancing warmth and comfort, which are 2 things that you should never compromise on when hunting in the cold.
SITKA Gear Men’s Blizzard Bib Pants Pros
- They are available in various sizes, and you can easily find the right fit.
- Their reinforced seat area provides extra protection.
- They are made from 100% polyester, which is warm and breathable.
- The suspenders and high seat back seal out the cold and keep the pants in place.
- They have a windproof and waterproof feature that keeps you warm and dry.
SITKA Gear Men’s Blizzard Bib Pants Cons
- They are hand wash only.
- The bottom of the pants lacks a tightening mechanism to minimize airflow.
- Petite females may not find a good size for them.
5. Best Odor Resistant Hunting Pants – Kryptek Vellus Camo Hunting Pant (Vellus Collection)
Picture this; you’re on your long-awaited annual hunting trip, and you’ve just found the perfect deer herd. Your gear is in place, you’re well camouflaged, and are ready to draw back on your bow. Just when you’re about to take the shot, the winds change directions, and your scent sends the deer scattering.
If you’ve ever been there, then you definitely understand how important it is to mask your odor. Most animals evolved with an extreme sense of smell. That’s is one thing that has helped them survive for so long. How hard is it anyway? After all, you can easily shower with scent-free products before your hunt.
There’s just one problem with this theory; if you’re hunting in warm weather, there’s no escaping sweat. To avoid this situation, we’ve found that the Kryptek Vellus Camo Hunting Pants work best in terms of odor-resistance.
Kryptek Vellus Camo Hunting Pants Pros
- They are designed with some of the best camo technology that keeps you well hidden.
- The Kryptek Vellus Camo Hunting Pant keeps you warm and comfortable.
- They have a stealthy design that gives you a 3D appearance on 2D surfaces.
- Ample storage due to front and back zippers.
- They have a water-resistant insulation layer that works perfectly in cold temperatures.
- X-Static silver fibers that prevent odor formation and enhance scent control.
Kryptek Vellus Camo Hunting Pants Cons
- If you’re hunting in warm weather, sometimes the fleece material can be a bit sticky.
The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide to Choosing The Best Hunting Pants
Picking out the best hunting pants is considerably more difficult than choosing casual wear. There’s a reason why the global hunting apparel market is quickly growing, and it’s mostly because hunters now realize the importance of choosing the right clothes based on the type of hunting.
Here’s a simple guide to choosing the right pants for your trip!
How To Choose The Best Hunting Pants For Your Type Of Hunting
Hunting is a versatile activity. Different animals are found in varying environments and can only be hunted at certain types of the year. This means that the pants you choose should not only be comfortable but also protect you from the environment.
Some of the factors you should consider include;
Choosing the right hunting pants size is a tricky affair. If they’re too long, you could trip. On the other hand, if they are too short, they will not provide sufficient protection and won’t cover your boots. It’s always recommended that you choose pants that are one size larger than you normally wear.
This should be dependent on your hunting terrain and the weather. For example, lightweight material may be comfortable but doesn’t have the right insulation for cold weather. Waterproof pants, on the other hand, will keep you warm but are often noisy.
3. Weather Resistance And Durability
Go for hunting pants that will serve you for a long time. Keep in mind that terrains differ greatly, and there are times when you’ll need leg protection from cuts, scratches, and bug bites.
If you’re hunting during the warm seasons, buy lightweight hunting pants that are also breathable. Cold seasons require warm and comfortable pants.
Material Guide For Hunting Pants
Polyester is highly durable, which is why it’s used in most cold-weather hunting pants. It’s also lightweight and traps heat in, enhancing comfort and mobility. Some brands also use fleece.
Some pants also use Gore-Tex and Dry-Plus because they are waterproof and keep your legs dry when you’re navigating the wetlands. These materials are also windproof & durable and can be used for all hunting seasons.
Other materials include wool, cotton, and nylon blends.
Benefits Of Choosing The Best Hunting Pants
1. Protection Against The Elements
Hunting in the rain is not easy, and it’s more dangerous if you have wet clothes on. To protect yourself from frostbite or hypothermia, ensure you have a pair of waterproof and windproof pants for winter hunting.
2. Scent Blockers
Hunting pants with scent blockers come in handy when you’re hunting big game with an acute sense of smell. These types of animals tend to run away at the whiff of an unfamiliar scent, making it difficult to get a clear shot.
They are often more expensive but worth every penny.
Hunting is all about your stealth and how well you’re able to blend into the surrounding environment. Green and brown patterns are perfect for forested areas, while white patterns work well in snowy regions.
Most hunting trips stretch out for hours on end. Uncomfortable hunting pants could hinder mobility, cause irritation, ultimately ruining your excursion.
Best Hunting Pants Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why is Choosing the Right Camo Pattern Important?
Most animals have color perception, and you need to keep yourself well hidden. For example, if you’re hunting big game or coyotes, go for camo that bends with the vegetation. If you’re hunting waterfowl, choose camo patterns that look like the reeds and grass. If you are out shed hunting, you probably don’t need camo pants at all.
2. What are the Top Hunting Pants Brands and their Reputation?
- SITKA Gear
This brand is mostly known for its layering system that keeps you moisture-free and comfortable. Their pants are also lightweight and windproof.
Kryptek is mostly known for its military-like apparel that is durable and highly tactical.
- King’s Camo
Their hunting pants strike the perfect balance between comfort and durability. They also have realistic patterns that keep you well camouflaged.
3. How can I Get Burs Out of my Hunting Pants?
Large burs require removal by hand, but for the smaller pieces, you might have to duct tape them out.
Which are the Best Hunting Pants?
The SITKA Gear Men’s Mountain Performance hunting pants are undoubtedly our favorite, and it’s not just because they are comfortable. They are well-rounded, and you can use them in all types of environments.
Most of the other pants are specific to particular climates, which means that you’ll have to buy hunting pants for different seasons. Having a versatile pair of pants to wear for all hunting trips doesn’t hurt.
Even though the pockets are a bit small, you can always store what you need in your hunting pack. You’ll also get used to the waterproof knee and seat pads. Once you do, you wont want to go back.